UPDATE…Attempted murder suspect leads police on chase, causes major wreck on I-84 (VIDEO)

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on print
Scene on I-84 after high-speed pursuit of attempted murder suspect ends in crash. Photo submitted.
(Photo: Bob McCormick)

HUDSON VALLEY – A four-county car chase involving police and a suspect in a Rockland County attempted murder has resulted in the arrest of the man on I-84 in the Town of Newburgh.

The initial radio transmissions indicated that the subject was a murder suspect.

Forty-six-year-old Todd Humphrey is in the custody of the Clarkstown Police Department after the widespread pursuit.

Clarkstown Police said the incident began on Monday, October 17th, at about 5:10 a.m. when officers responded to the Tappan Zee Hotel at 110 North Route 303, for a report of a woman screaming.

When officers arrived, they found a female victim injured from a serious assault. She had substantial lacerations on her head.

She told police that while she was taking a shower, her boyfriend, later identified as Todd Humphrey, 46, of Stony Point, began hitting her in the head with what appeared to be a hammer.

The victim was able to escape the room and get the attention of a hotel staffer who dialed 911.

When police got to the scene, Humphrey was gone. An alert was sent out to all police in the region to look for his vehicle.

At about 1:30 p.m., he was located by State Police in Putnam County where a vehicle pursuit began.


(video by Mark Lieb, Rockland Video Productions)

He eventually made his way into Dutchess County on I-84, over the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge, traveling in the wrong direction, until he eventually crashed and was taken into custody.  The crash was reported to involve the suspect’s vehicle, a tractor-trailer, a state police vehicle, and other vehicles.

The suspect and another driver sustained minor injuries in the crash.

Humphrey was taken into custody at the accident scene by the state police.

Custody of Humphrey was transferred to the Clarkstown Police Detective Bureau where he is awaiting arraignment on the felony charges of attempted murder and assault.

Additional criminal charges are expected to be added before arraignment including vehicle and traffic violations from the NYSP.

Arraignment information had not been released as of Monday evening.