ALBANY – The New York State Board for Historic Preservation has recommended three properties in the region to the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
The Solomon Resnick House in Westchester County, built in 1953, is a passive solar house. The modern-style, single-story residence is made of steel, glass and concrete.
It represents marked deviation in traditional styles popular in the area after World War II.
Landscape design reflected a Japanese-influences, evergreen plant palette – bamboo, fern, and moss – to harmonize with the area’s natural Fordham gneiss rock.
Larchmont Avenue Church in Westchester is a Neo-Gothic church constructed largely in 1930 by a Presbyterian congregation to reflect the growing population of the area stemming from development of commuter rail lines to nearby New York City.
Still in use, the church has a notable collection of stained-glass windows designed by D’Ascenzo Studios of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
New Lebanon District No. 8 School in Columbia County, built in 1870, served as a school and later as a Grange Hall for the area farming community.
The building is now used as a restaurant/brewery and an apartment.