KINGSTON – A West Chestnut Street, Kingston man is charged with felony promoting a suicide attempt.
Police were asked by family members Monday morning to check on the welfare
of the residents at that address and when they arrived, they detected
a strange odor when Paul Egan, 62, answered the door.
That odor was determined to be exhaust from a furnace containing carbon monoxide.
Officers were able to remove an unconscious 59-year-old woman believed to be his wife, out of the home. She was overcome by carbon monoxide. She was transported to Kingston Hospital and later transferred to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx where she was listed in critical condition.
Police said Egan had disconnected a boiler exhaust pipe and turned on a gas generator allowing carbon monoxide to permeate the residence.
Kingston Police were assisted at the scene by the Kingston Fire Department and Mobile Life Support Services ambulance.