Ulster County orders Karolys to cease and desist dumping in Saugerties

Karolys dump site
A Karolys dump site in Saugerties

KINGSTON – Ulster County Health Commissioner Dr. Carol Smith issued a cease and desist order Wednesday against Joseph and Rachel Karolys of Route 212 in Saugerties to stop “a practice of bringing offensive material, inclusive of contaminated construction and demolition debris, into Ulster County using unpermitted hauling trucks.”

Those materials are contaminated with heavy metals and pesticides, the order stated.

Earlier this month, the state Department of Environmental Conservation issued two notices of violation ordering the Karolyses, the owners of three illegal dump sites in Saugerties, to shut down operations and begin removing all of the waste from those sites.

But, Dr. Smith’s cease and desist order dated July 24, stated as of that date, the “property owners continue a practice of bringing offensive material, inclusive of contaminated construction and demolition debris, into Ulster County via unpermitted hauling trucks.”

“The actions of the Karolys’ are egregious and threaten the health and public safety of the residents of Saugerties,” said County Executive Patrick Ryan. “We will not stand by and allow someone to show such disdain for their neighbors, the environment, and the law.”

He said his office will continue to monitor the situation and we will not hesitate to take additional action should these polluters continue to act in such a reckless manner.”



Get Email Updates

* indicates required