Portable generator starts garage fire that destroys two cars, damages house

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on print

ARLINGTON – A fire that started from recent use of a portable emergency generator destroyed a garage and two cars inside as well as extended to main portions of the house.

The fire, just before 9 a.m. on Monday, broke out at 15 Edwin Road in the Arlington Fire District.

The two-alarm fire brought out City of Poughkeepsie firefighters and Mobile Life Support EMS.

It took some 20 minutes to bring the blaze under control and another hour to completely extinguish it.

Two residents at home vacated the residence with the assistance of first arriving firefighters and were transported to the hospital for evaluation of minor injuries. The occupants were staying locally and being assisted by family members.

Arlington Fire Chief William Steenbergh said the fire was determined to be accidental in nature.

The residence was deemed uninhabitable.

Assisting Arlington at the scene were the district fire investigation division, Town of Poughkeepsie Building Department, Town of Poughkeepsie Police Department and Central Hudson Gas and Electric.

The New Hamburg, Pleasant Valley and LaGrange fire department were on standby in Arlington stations.