NEWBURGH – Police in Newburgh have a 54-year-old Newburgh man under arrest, charged with attempted murder following a three-hour standoff on Van Ness Street on Saturday.
Charles McLean was also booked on assault, with additional charges pending, according to police officials.
The breaking coverage of the incident was covered by Mid-Hudson News and can be found HERE.
In a statement released later in the day on January 8, 2022, Police Chief Anthony Geraci said that at approximately 7:28 a.m. on Saturday, officers responded to 56 Van Ness Street for a report of an assault in progress. When the officers arrived, they located a 50-year-old woman who had been struck in the head with the butt of a folding knife. A second victim, a 47-year-old man who had been stabbed in the hand and arm, was also found at the scene.
The victims told the police that the perpetrator, now identified as McLean, was still inside the building and was also suffering from stab wounds sustained during the physical altercation.
Officers located McLean at the top of the staircase in the building. He was holding a knife and threatened officers that he would kill them if they approached. The threat created a standoff, and additional officers were summoned to the scene.
After a three-hour confrontation that included the closure of surrounding streets, police hostage negotiators were able to convince McLean to surrender. He was taken into custody without further incident and transported to Montefiore St. Luke’s Hospital to be treated for stab wounds he received to his upper body and was discharged. After being released from the hospital he was arrested and charged with the felonies of attempted murder and assault, with additional charges pending.
The 47-year-old male victim was transported to Montefiore St. Luke’s Hospital and treated for his stab wounds and lacerations, and released.
The 50-year-old female victim sustained substantial pain and swelling to her forehead and was treated at the scene.