PHILIPSTOWN – The West Point Foundry, the 93-acre nature preserve in Putnam County, has been designated as a National Historic Landmark by the National Parks Service.
The site served as a hub of mechanical innovation during the Industrial Revolution. It operated from 1818 to 1911 and was contracted after the War of 1812 to provide the U.S. Government with cannons and ammunition, and later provided the supplies to the Union Army during the Civil War.
The development of the Parrott gun – lauded for its range and accuracy – captured the interest of President Abraham Lincoln, who visited the site in 1862.
Scenic Hudson, the steward of the foundry, along with several research organizations that have fostered significant archeological discoveries over the last 30 years, helped broaden the public’s understanding of the technological advances of the day, and the influence industrialization had on social and cultural transformations.
The National Landmark designation was announced by Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand and Congressman Sean Patrick Maloney.