High levels of carbon monoxide cause school evacuation and closure

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on print
Students were evacuated from Warring Elementary on Monday due to high levels of carbon monoxide
Mayor Rob Rolison was offering comforting words to the students that were evacuated. (c) MHNN

POUGHKEEPSIE – The Charles B. Warring Elementary School was evacuated of students and staff after high levels of carbon monoxide were found in the building.  A staff member was transported to the hospital for additional treatment.


Poughkeepsie firefighters responded to the Mansion Street school for a report of elevated carbon monoxide at 11:18 a.m. on Monday.


The occupants of the building were taken outside while the firefighters monitored the presence of the poisonous gas. One staff member was transported by ambulance to a local hospital for further treatment related to elevated blood pressure possibly caused by carbon monoxide poisoning.


The windows were opened in the multi-story school to aid with ventilation.  A fire department official indicated that the presence of the gas was traced back to a malfunction in the building’s boiler.


As staff safeguarded the students outside, a decision was made to close the school for the remainder of the day.

A district transportation employee was tasked with recalling bus drivers back to work to transport the students down the street to Morse Elementary School where parents were directed to pick up their children.

Poughkeepsie Mayor Rob Rolison was present as the children were being relocated.  Many of the younger students were distressed about the change and Rolison was seen talking with the children telling them “Everything is going to be okay.  You just have to make sure you listen to your teachers.”  Rolison also spent a few moments thanking the staff and bus drivers for keeping things organized.


Mid-Hudson News is waiting for a statement from District Superintendent Dr. Eric Rosser.