TOWN OF POUGHKEEPSIE – Arlington firefighters were joined by City of Poughkeepsie firefighters to extinguish a kitchen fire on Monday night at approximately 7:35 p.m. The fire burned a kitchen in a condominium at Envoy Plaza on Beechwood Avenue.
According to Arlington Fire Chief Bill Steenbergh, the first arriving fire engines from Arlington and Poughkeepsie were on the scene in less than five minutes and the crews observed flames in the windows of the unit’s first-floor windows. A second alarm was called bringing additional firefighters from throughout the Arlington district to the scene.
After several minutes, the flames were extinguished, the chief said. While the Arlington and Poughkeepsie departments were at the scene, the New Hamburg, Pleasant Valley, and New Hackensack fire departments relocated to Arlington stations to provide coverage to the district.
Steenbergh said the Arlington Fire Investigation Division determined that the fire was related to cooking oil in a frying pan on the stovetop.