NEWBURGH – If you have a child attending classes in the Newburgh Enlarged City School District, you may have to make new arrangements as the school board has pushed the start date from Thursday, September 1 to Thursday, September 9.
“The additional time will allow the district to receive supplies to add more indoor and outdoor seating to maintain additional physical distancing during meal times,” Acting Superintendent Ed Forgit. “The time will also allow our grounds crew and custodial staff an opportunity to best prepare all of our facilities during those days for this adjustment, which will continue through Friday, September 3, 2021.”
Forgit said the decision to delay the opening of school was “as a result of the initial guidance issued by the New York State Department of Health on this past Friday evening.”
Many parents are outraged by the delay since they had already made arrangements for daycare and others questioned why the district had not made contingency plans during the summer.
Still others said district officials are under immense pressure and have had to adjust accordingly.
Some 200 parents posted comments below the acting superintendent’s letter to the community.