WHITE PLAINS – Westchester County Executive George Latimer and the Board of Legislators, Friday, delivered the 2021 Westchester County Joint State Legislative Package to Westchester’s State Assembly and Senate delegation.
The package is a list of state actions that the local officials are asking lawmakers in Albany to approve to help county residents and taxpayers.
The package includes state measures that will create jobs; improve infrastructure, public health and transportation; and reimburse the County for the cost of state-mandated programs, as well as measures to improve the storm-readiness of local utilities, protect local hospitals, and enhance environmental sustainability.
Among the top priorities in the package are:
- Support for the expansion of downstate casino licenses
- Release FY2020-21 money previously allocated to Westchester
- Fund Indian Point-related emergency operations
- Provide funding parity in State transportation aid
- Invest in infrastructure projects in Westchester
- Oppose shifting costs for aid and incentives for Municipalities onto Westchester
- Make the Westchester County Property Taxpayer Protection Act Permanent
The package also calls for action by the State on a number of measures including:
- Support for the right to counsel in eviction cases
- Mandatory notification of Extreme Risk Protection Order information by mental health facilities to patients and families upon discharge
- Requiring hospitals in a municipality of less than 250,000 residents to obtain approval from voters at a mandatory referendum before closing
- Approval of the County’s acquisition of the North County Trailway
- Study the economic impact of quality childcare and early education programs
- Tougher requirements for storm hardening and emergency planning by electric utilities
“While the COVID-19 pandemic has changed the way we live our lives, it is imperative that us in government work together to find solutions to the challenges we all face,” said County Executive George Latimer. “Contained in this joint package are some of those solutions that we look to implement for the betterment of all who call Westchester home. Our New York State delegation has stood with us time and time again and understands the needs we all share. We thank them for their support.”
To read the 2021 Westchester County Joint State Legislative Package visit https://www.westchesterlegislators.com/images/pdf/2021-joint-state-leg-package.pdf