POUGHKEEPSIE – The route for the Dutchess County-wide Memorial Day convoy has been altered to include a portion of the Village of Wappingers Falls. The village is honored, according to their leader, Chief Adam Van Tassell. “The county did a great job in organizing this celebration to honor our brave soldiers that paid the ultimate price and our department is honored to be able to participate.” The route was altered Friday afternoon to include a portion of the village. The additions to the route are included below in red lettering.
Dutchess County Executive Marc Molinaro and Marc Coviello, Director of the Dutchess County Division of Veterans’ Services, have organized a convoy of county, police, fire, and local municipality vehicles to traverse Dutchess County as part of this year’s Memorial Day celebrations on Monday, May 25th.
County Executive Molinaro said, “Generations of brave men and women have protected this great nation, far too many of whom made the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. Just because we are physically distancing ourselves from one another during these strange times, doesn’t mean we can’t honor these courageous service members who died to keep America safe. Nothing will stop us from honoring their legacies this Memorial Day.”
On Monday, May 25th, after laying wreaths at the Dutchess County War Memorial, the Memorial Day Convoy will depart at 11 am escorted by Dutchess County Sheriff’s vehicles that will be decorated by Leah Eddington, a local artist. City of Poughkeepsie Fire Department vehicles will join as the Memorial Day Convoy travels down Main Street, taking Route 9 south.
- Main Street in Poughkeepsie to Route 9,
- Travel south down Route 9 From Poughkeepsie to Route 9D (left just past Shoppes at South Hills)
- Rt. 9D/East Main Street back out to Route 9 (at Dairy Queen) to continue south through Wappinger/Fishkill,
- Take Route 52 to East Fishkill,
- Follow Route 82 from Fishkill to East Fishkill taking 376 into Hopewell Junction,
- Beekman road from Hopewell Junction to Beekman,
- Route 55 out to Pawling
- Route 22/343/44 to from Pawling through Dover/Amenia and up to Millerton,
- Route 199 to Pine Plains and Milan to Red Hook, and finally;
- Route 9 back down to Poughkeepsie, coming through Rhinebeck and Hyde Park.
*This is the broad convoy route, local fire departments and police agencies may expand beyond this route within their local municipality.