Three dead in Town of Newburgh shooting, suspect in custody

Newburgh Town Police Chief Bruce Campbell and Orange County District Attorney David Hoovler discuss the facts of the case (photo: Bob McCormick)

NEWBURGH – Three people are dead and one other has been wounded in a shooting in the Town of Newburgh Sunday morning, Police Chief Bruce Campbell said.

A man and woman in their 20s and a nine-year-boy were killed and a second child, three years old, is in serious condition at Westchester Medical Center, the chief said. He had been shot multiple times.

Another child was in the home at the time but was rescued by a neighbor, unharmed.

A person of interest is in custody and no one else is being sought; this was not a random act, Campbell said. The suspect was known to the victims, he said.

(Video: Action News Service)

Orange County District Attorney David Hoovler said if someone is fully charged in the case, it will be presented to a grand jury.

He also asked anyone who may have seen or heard anything pertaining to the case to call Newburgh Town Police.

Town police and emergency medical personnel were dispatched to the scene at a private residence, possibly with two apartments, at 1751 Route 300 at around 8:15 a.m.

Mid-Hudson News photo (c)

Town Police say Route 300 is closed between Chapel Road and  Route 32/North Plank Road. There is no anticipated road opening time.

State Police are assisting in the investigation along with the DA’s office.

(Video: Action News Service)



Get Email Updates

* indicates required