Hot water heater causes fire in Carmel


CARMEL – Fire caused by a hot water heater damaged a 72-year-old home in a remote section of Carmel on Saturday.

The Putnam County 911 Dispatch Center received a call around 7:30 a.m. reporting a fire at the Parker home on Hickory Bend Road with residents possible trapped inside.

Carmel Police raced to the scene along with Carmel Fire Department personnel.

When first responders arrived, they found two vehicles parked in a driveway as smoke billowed from the one-story residence.

Police and firefighters entered the home and found no one inside learning from a neighbor that members of the family were living in New York City at the time.

Carmel Assistant Chief Matt Lubera sounded a general alarm and requested mutual aid from surrounding departments since the home is located on a narrow road not serviced by fire hydrants.

Crews from Mahopac, Mahopac Falls, Putnam Valley, Brewster, Kent, Croton Falls and Somers all responded.

Firefighters saved the home from destruction yet the rear of the house suffered heavy fire damage and its interior sustained smoke damage.

Members of the Putnam County Fire Investigation Team assisted along with Putnam 16 Battalion Coordinator George Wahlers and a representative of the Putnam Bureau of Emergency Services.

No injuries were reported.

Crews remained at the scene until early afternoon.