Batteries spew sulfur inside Marist building

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email
Share on print
Print

TOWN OF POUGHKEEPSIE – Fairview and Poughkeepsie firefighters responded to Marist College Tuesday afternoon for reports of smoke in the Hancock Center building.

Fairview Chief Chris Maeder said a bank of batteries that provide backup power to computers had malfunctioned, filling the room with toxic sulfur fumes.

Students and staff evacuated the building as fire personnel worked to isolate the problem.

After the fumes were cleared, the building was cleared to be reoccupied at approximately 1:20 p.m., one hour after the initial call came in.