POUGHKEEPSIE – Marist College has once again been recognized as a top ten Best Regional University-North in the 2020 U.S. News rankings released today. The College was also noted in other key categories for innovation, teaching, and value.
Marist ranked #10 overall in the Regional Universities-North category, marking the College’s fourth consecutive year in the top 10.
U.S. News also cited Marist as the #5 Most Innovative School among Regional Universities-North. This ranking was developed based on surveys of top academics—college presidents, provosts, and admissions deans—who were asked to nominate the schools making the biggest innovative improvements in all aspects of their institution. The College has many innovations to its credit:
- Marist’s Florence, Italy campus offers the only U.S. bachelor’s degree program in Florence.
- Marist’s research partnership with the IBM Corporation, which has been in place for more than 30 years, has brought the College the kind of world-class technology platform typically found at leading research institutions while giving students the opportunity to work with IBM professionals on cutting-edge research.
- The Marist Institute for Public Opinion, home of the Marist Poll, is one of the nation’s premier independent survey research centers. The Marist Poll is the only college poll directly tied to the academic enterprise of its institution, with students working as interviewers, supervisors, and research assistants. The Poll partners with NBC News, NPR, PBS NewsHour, and The Wall Street Journal to measure electoral sentiment and other key issues.
- Earlier this year, Marist opened a location at 420 Fifth Avenue in New York City as a hub for innovative academic offerings for working professionals, traditional undergraduates, and graduate students, as well as a central venue for high-profile events.
- The College recently opened a new state-of-the-art ESPN production studio on campus as a way for students to get hands-on experience broadcasting sports events.
- The Fashion Program is recognized as one of the top programs globally by the highly respected publication Business of Fashion.
- Marist is one of just a few colleges in the Northeast to offer a cybersecurity major.
In the same regional category, Marist was also noted for Best Undergraduate Teaching with a ranking of #8. “Being ranked among the best regional universities is extremely gratifying and is a testament to our dedicated faculty, staff, and motivated students,” said Sean Kaylor, Vice President for Enrollment, Marketing, and Communication. “We are focused on student success. Our emphasis on quality teaching, hands-on educational experiences, and a global perspective really makes Marist a compelling choice.”
The combination is working: the College has an impressive 84 percent six-year graduation rate—substantially higher than the 66 percent national average for private institutions and the 59.7 percent average for public universities.
The full listing of U.S. News rankings for 2020 can be found here.