BELLVALE – Two men who worked for a subcontractor of Orange and Rockland Utilities were electrocuted Monday morning as they were performing maintenance work atop Mount Peter, Warwick Town Police said.
Warwick firefighters were called to the mountain top shortly after 10 a.m.
“We did find the two utility workers had succumbed to what we preliminarily believe was electric shock. How that actually happened is still under investigation,” Lt. Thomas Maslanka said.
The men were adjusting non-electric guide cables which for an unknown reason, had become electrified with 69,000 volts. When they came in contact with them, they were killed, said Orange and Rockland Utilities spokesman Michael Donovan.
Maslanka said the men worked for E.J. Electric. Their names have not yet been released.
Power was cut to a portion of Greenwood Lake to allow the firefighters to extinguish the brush fire.