Fatal Poughkeepsie fire caused by candles

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email
Share on print
Print

The cause of the fatal fire has been determined to be accidential,
caused by candles

POUGHKEEPSIE – The fire that claimed four lives in a vacant house
at 61 Academy Street in Poughkeepsie was caused by candles burning in
a bathroom, City Fire Chief Mark Johnson said Wednesday.

He said remnants of a large glass encased candle along with the remains
of several tea-light candles and several used lighters were found in a
bathroom by investigators from the fire department and Dutchess County
Sheriff’s Office.

Johnson said all four victims had soot in their lungs meaning they were
alive when the fire started. That, the chief said, dispels the notions
that the fire was started in order to mask another crime.

Demolition of the building is expected to start today.