WHITE PLAINS – The Westchester County Board of Legislators approved $700,000 to restore the 300-year-old Miller House, believed to have been a command center for George Washington during the Battle of White Plains.
The funds will be used to rebuild the roof, shore up its walls, chimney and foundations, improve drainage on the site and update systems in the building among other work.
The board also approved using another $250,000 State Assembly grant to build a separate, small classroom/visitors center on the property.
The new funding is in addition to a previously approved $1.3 million.
The Elijah Miller House on Virginia Road in North White Plains was built around 1739. Washington is believed to have spent time there not only in October 1776 during the Battle of White Plains but also in 1778 and 1781. Miller and his two sons, John and Elijah, died in 1776 during the Revolutionary War.
The house was acquired by the county in the early 20th center and it was opened as a park and museum in 1918, but it has been closed to the public for years as it fell into disrepair.