Live electric wires catch fire, knock out power in Saugerties village district


Fire knocked out the lights for about
90 minutes

SAUGERTIES – A high-tension electric wire that snapped between two utility poles near Snyder’s Appliances on Ulster Avenue in the Village of Saugerties Monday evening ignited nearby foliage and knocked out power in the area.
During the outage, the village business district lost power along with several residential neighborhoods including Village Hall and Courthouse.  Police maintained all intersections where traffic lights were affected by the outage to ensure vehicle and pedestrian safety.
There were no reports of injuries or criminal activity related to the outage.          
Central Hudson restored service an hour-and-a-half after the outage occurred at 6:42 p.m.

Popular Stories