SINGAPORE – One of nine
sailors who are still missing from the USS John S. McCain collision with
a Liberian-flagged merchant vessel on August 21 is from the City of Poughkeepsie.
The Navy Thursday identified him as 28-year-old Information Systems Technician
2nd Class Corey George Ingram.
Congressman Sean Patrick Maloney said the news is “heartbreaking.”
He said Ingram is “an American hero and this tragedy is a reminder
of the risks that our service members take every day to keep our country
Dutchess County Executive Marcus Molinaro said he was “saddened”
to learn that Ingram was among the missing sailors. “Our thoughts
and prayers are with his parents, Hubert and Jacqueline, one of our own
Dutchess County employees, and his friends and loved ones during this
Molinaro said he and the county “appreciate the brave men and women
who are searching for Corey and his fellow sailors and we pray they will
soon bring these American heroes home.”
“Our thoughts and prayers are with Corey’s family, friends,
and fellow shipmates,” said Poughkeepsie Mayor Robert Rolison. “As
the search continues, the Queen City sits with a heavy heart as we await
the return of our hero, Corey George Ingram.”
Ten sailors went missing following a collision between the Arleigh Burke-class
guided-missile destroyer and the merchant ship.
US Navy and Marine Corps divers will continue search and recovery efforts
inside flooded compartments in the ship for the missing sailors.
The divers recovered the remains of one sailor, confirmed as Electronics
Technician 3rd Class Kenneth Aaron Smith, 22, of Cherry Hill, New Jersey.
The other missing sailors are:
• Electronics Technician 1st Class Charles Nathan Findley, 31, from
• Interior Communications Electrician 1st Class Abraham Lopez, 39,
• Electronics Technician 2nd Class Kevin Sayer Bushell, 26, from
• Electronics Technician 2nd Class Jacob Daniel Drake, 21, from
• Information Systems Technician 2nd Class Timothy Thomas Eckels
Jr., 23, from Maryland
• Electronics Technician 3rd Class Dustin Louis Doyon, 26, from
• Electronics Technician 3rd Class John Henry Hoagland III, 20,
• Interior Communications Electrician 3rd Class Logan Stephen Palmer,
23, from Illinois
Multinational search efforts included ships and aircraft from the Republic
of Singapore Navy, Singapore Air Force, Singapore Maritime Port Authority,
Singapore Police Coast Guard, Royal Malaysian Navy, Malaysian Maritime
Enforcement Agency, Indonesian Navy and Royal Australian Air Force.
The incident is under investigation to determine the facts and circumstances
of the collision.