Man sustains heavy burns in a house fire where grow house located

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email
Share on print
Print

Marijuana plants found in New Windsor residence

NEW WINDSOR – A 55-year-old New Windsor man sustained heavy burns
on most of his body when he opened a door in the building where he lived
and was hit by fire.

Robert McDougall told town police when they arrived at 615 Union Avenue
just before 11 a.m. on Tuesday that he heard a loud noise in the lower
level and opened the door. That’s when he was met by flames.

McDougall was transported by New Windsor EMS to St. Luke’s Cornwall
Hospital in Newburgh in critical condition and later airlifted to Westchester
Medical Center.

The fire was extinguished by the Vails Gate Fire Department.
Members of the fire department, New Windsor Fire Inspector’s Office
and town police checked the scene and located what appeared to be a marijuana
grow operation with 38 plants in that unit.

Authorities found several types of accessories that are commonly used
for growing marijuana indoors.

Authorities continue to investigate the case of the fire and if it had
anything to do with the area he was using to dry some of the marijuana
plants.