Explosion destroys house, critically burns man, in Cairo

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email
Share on print
Print

CAIRO – An explosion completely destroyed a house
in the Town of Cairo late Saturday afternoon and sent a man to the hospital
with burns over 80 to 90 percent of his body.

State Police said the preliminary determination is that an explosion was
caused by an occupant attempting to re-light a propane heater pilot light,
which in turn, ignited the accumulated gas in the residence at 597 Bross
Street at around 4:40 p.m. on Saturday.

The sole occupant, a 62-year-old man, suffered burns to his legs, hands,
arms, back and face. He was flown to Westchester Medical Center where
he remains in critical condition.

State Police were assisted at the scene by the Cairo Fire Department,
Town of Cairo Police, Greene County Sheriff’s Office and Greene
County Fire Investigation team.