GOSHEN – No one was in any danger
when an uncovered beaker of elementary mercury was discovered in a Goshen
High School chemistry lab prep area on Friday, school officials said.
The dangerous material was found underneath a prep sink and measured less
than five milliliters in volume.
District officials immediately contacted the Orange County Health Department
and BOCES Risk Management, which then contacted hazmat and the Goshen
High School Principal Kurtis Kotes said hazmat and BOCES Risk Management
advised that a building evacuation was unnecessary.
Air quality tests were conducted and Kotes said at no time were students
or staff unsafe.