MONROE – A smoky fire raged in Monroe Monday morning, heavily damaging a house at 33 Center Hill Road. Two adults and three children escaped from the burning structure.
The three-alarm blaze brought out firefighters from a number of area
departments. The call came in around 9:30 a.m. and was declared
under control before noon.
The cause remains under investigation, although improperly disposed fireplace ashes may have sparked the fire, officials said.
One firefighter sustained an ankle injury and was taken to the hospital.