Movie theater evacuated with smoke scare

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email
Share on print
Print

Emergency responders at the mall theaters (Photo: Jim Lennon)

TOWN OF WALLKILL – Several hundred patrons of the AMC Lowes Galleria
Metroplex 16 movie theaters at the Galleria at Crystal Run were evacuated
from the theater on Friday afternoon when a contractor performing work
on a rooftop ventilation unit causes smoke that accidentally entered the
theater.

There were no injuries to the patrons who were evacuated from the facility,
Wallkill Police Chief Robert Hertman reported.

The Mechanicstown fire Department responded to the scene and moviegoers
were able to re-enter the building within an hour after Wallkill Building
Inspector Charles Russell determined there was no further threat from
the defective ventilation unit.

Hertman said town officials have been working to address such issues and
most recently, on November 23, 2014, the town’s Office of Emergency
Management conducted a mock disaster and evacuation drill at the Galleria.
He said the drill and other regular meetings with emergency management
partners have forged “a positive working relationship among stakeholders,
which in turn led to [Friday’s] orderly evacuation of the patrons
at the movie theater.”