Thursday, March 14, 2019



Reports of fire bring out large response to CIA

Firefighters checkout the scene to confirm there was no fire

HYDE PARK – Firefighters from several departments responded to the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park on Thursday morning because several buildings filled with smoke and the scent of burning wires was in the air.

The reports of the fire were unfounded and the smoke conditions werecaused by a major electrical issue stemming from a tree that had brought power lines down on Route 9 near the former Hudson River Psychiatric Center.

Power lines had actually hit the pavement in a few spots causing the asphalt to smolder as well as causing the power to the culinary college to lose at least one phase of the three-phase electrical system. As a result of the lost phase, electricity backfed the school's power grid causing a transformer to overheat and burn out, according to Roosevelt Fire District Chief Lew Darrow.

Students, faculty, and staff were all evacuated while first-responders inspected the dormitories and other buildings where the smoke conditions existed. Assisting the Roosevelt FD were the Poughkeepsie and Fairview fire departments along with several members of the New York State Bureau of Fire, Dutchess County Emergency Response, and Central Hudson Gas & Electric. When the first responders determined that no threat existed, the scene was turned over to Central Hudson and the school's staff.

Central Hudson and Fairview Fire Department continued to operate at the scene of the downed power lines on Route 9, south of the Culinary's main entrance.



Copyright © 2018 Mid-Hudson News Network, a division of Statewide News Network, Inc.
This story may not be reproduced in any form, by any media, without express written consent.
This includes rewriting, broadcasting and/or printing of material from,
by websites, radio and television stations, newspapers or other media



HEAR today's news on, the Hudson Valley's only Internet radio news report.